Pages

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Spanking

How do people feel about spanking and saying the "no" word?  I feel that spanking is an act of discipline, but others will refute it.  But it does come with consequences, you can't spank real hard.  This one is hard for me, because my girls hit, bite, slap, yell and scream at each other.  Saying "no" doesn't always work, because they continue again, separating works for a little bit, but they will go back to doing it again.  So sometimes I spank them for not listening.  They do get it once that happens.  But then it looks like if mommy can slap me, then I can slap my sister too. 
I know they are curious and are trying to push my buttons to see how much they can get away with.  I keep reading twins forums, acts of discipline stories, but what I get is a mixed review. 
The one thing, that I want to make clear is that if your afraid to spank or say "no" to your child don't.  Its not right to try and do something that you don't feel is right to do.  I was sent to my room and had water dumped on my head when I did something wrong when I was younger. 


The one thing that I do after I have spanked my child is I sit down and talk with them.  I tell them that its not right to hit or slap your sister, but why can mom do it?  I try to say "no" before I spank.  I want them to know that it isn't right to hit others.  The faster I can teach them no to, the better off we are.  I have taught them to kiss  and hug each other when they do something bad, so I do positive re-enforcement after a bad punishment. 

Also another point, I have taught my girls instead of hitting, give high fives.  They really love that!  So when they get mad at each other and I see it, I tell them to give each other high fives and it actually has been working.  So less spanking, more high fives!!!  We give hugs and kisses, and are gentle with each other.  However, this wont always be the case and this is the right time to teach them what is good and bad.

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment